logo for natural-remedies-review.com





LEFT for natural-remedies-review.com
 

Vitamin D Overdose - What's Too Much?




How much should I take to avoid vitamin D overdose?

With so much information on the health benefits of taking vitamin D, it is important to know just much vitamin D a person can take while avoiding overdosing on this essential vitamin.

First off, practically everyone should take vitamin D supplements. Relying on drinking milk to get the needed amount of vitamin D is not very reliable. For example, a glass of milk only contains about 100 IU.

Vitamin D is made on the skin when exposed to sunlight.

Unfortunately, spending time indoors playing video games doesn't help. Experts also suggest applying sunscreen to avoid excessive exposure of the skin to the sun. That doesn't help either.

Taking a vitamin D supplement is the most reliable way of knowing how much you are getting on a daily basis. Practically, most people will never likely take too much vitamin D and toxicity is rare.

A typical daily dose of 1,000 to 2,000 IU per day is needed to prevent vitamin D deficiency.

You would have to take 50,000 IU each day for several months before you experience toxicity! Even in children and infants, they would have to take 40,000 IU per day for a month before it becomes toxic.

Bottom line

Taking too much Vitamin D is unlikely and toxicities are rare. Take 1,000 to 2,000 IU daily to prevent deficiency. 
 

 
See our detailed article for a complete list of the health benefits of taking Vitamin D.


Bookmark and Share
 
leaf logo herbal plant natural remedies review

Related Articles and Resources

Get the Complete Review on Vitamin D




Return to FAQ List
References for Vitamin D Overdose
Created: August 6, 2010


back to top

Use the search box below to quickly find what you are looking for!

Home | What's New! | A-Z Herbs | A-Z Ailments | FAQ's | Sitemap | Privacy

footer for natural remedies page