Exactly what causes
infertility in men and women?
can be caused by one or more problems in either the man or woman. The
female reproductive system is very complex. In order to conceive one
sperm from the man must unite with the egg (ovum) from the female at
exactly the right moment.
female ovary releases an ovum (egg) monthly (a processed called
ovulation) at mid-point at the 14th day of the cycle. The egg has about
24 hours to get fertilized by the sperm. Moreover, the sperm only lives
for about 3 days.
So, the ideal time to have intercourse is about 1 to 2 days before the
woman ovulates. This allows time for the sperm to travel up the uterus
into the fallopian tube to meet the ovum.
That's the technical details but let's focus on what can cause infertility in both men and women.
What causes infertility in women?
- Uterine fibroids
- Lack of ovulation (no release of egg by the ovary)
- Blocked or scarred fallopian tubes
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Menopause at an early age
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Hormonal problems and imbalance
- Eating disorder (anorexia)
- Stress (mental and physical)
- Poor nutrition
- Intense exercise on a regular basis
|What are some lifestyle and risk factors that can reduce fertility?
- Age (affects fertility in women much more than in men. After the age of 35, female fertility drops off dramatically.)
Congenital defects (to the reproductive system)
- Poor diet
- Excessive caffeine intake (over 3 cups daily)
Drug use (especially cancer chemotherapy drugs)
Toxins (environmental or food source)
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD)
- Excessive stress levels (affects hormone production)
- Radiation exposure
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Excessive use of hot tub for men. (Exposing the testicles to higher than body temperature reduces sperm production.)
Statistically, how long does it take to get pregnant?
most couples conceive within 6 months of engaging in unprotected sexual
intercourse around 1 to 2 days before ovulation occurs (around the 14th
day of the cycle).
About 85% of couple will get pregnant in less than 1
Looking for a list of herbs that can boost fertility?
See our article Herbs to Increase Fertility
to discover all the natural remedies you can use to boost your chance of getting pregnant. You will not be disappointed with what you are about to find out the article!
to Causes of Infertility
Herbs to Increase Fertility
to Remedies for Fertility Home Page
Use the search box below to
quickly find what you are looking for!
Home | What's New! | A-Z Herbs | A-Z Ailments | FAQ's | Sitemap | Privacy